Sunday, April 22, 2007

Making Your First Small Change

Who was inspired to make life changes after watching the London Marathon today? The stories of some many of the people taking part were inspiring and made me think of many a few changes in my own life. As many of us do, I have the habit of putting off tasks to a later date, only that date never seems to arrive. So after watching the London Marathon I have been inspired to make some changes, and I hope you will join me on my journey and feel inspired to make a few changes yourself.

One thing we need to look at is why we are putting things off. I would like to work for myself and be home based, but for some reason I am still working for someone else. I have to ask myself why. And the simple answer is, because it is easier this way. I go to work and give them 7 hours a day, five days a week and they pay me.

But this has to change. I am not fulfilling my true potential with the work I am doing so I am really achieving nothing. Does this sound familiar to you? Perhaps you are doing the same. Stuck in a rut, wanting to do something about it, but it seems easier to carry on doing what we are doing for an easy life.

So how can we motivate ourselves to get us started. I’ve found that taking a small step towards my goal every day has helped me a lot. If you are making a small change each day then change doesn’t seem so scary. Sometimes it is the unknown we are most scared off, which is silly really, because why are we scared of something that exists in our heads.

By taking a small step each day we can start to see our actions are taking effect. For example, you want to be fitter for summer, and you decide to walk a little more each day. You buy a stepometer and each day you increase the amount of steps. Within a few weeks you have increased your activity without any great effort or expense.

Once we have made the decision to make some life changes, you won’t want to delay. You will be keen to get started. If you are still hesitating, ask yourself why. Is it because you are not sure how to do it, or is cost a factor? Perhaps writing every thing down will make things clearer for you. It doesn’t matter how small the action is every day, just has long as you take action.

I have put off many tasks that need doing. I give myself a long to do list which is off putting and I sometimes have several projects on the go at the same time and I can’t devote the time I need to keep them all on track. Best to keep tasks doable in the amount of time you have. It may be helpful just to give yourself a couple of tasks a day until they are all completed.

Don’t let laziness stop you. You know what I mean “It’s a lovely day, I’ll get started tomorrow” or “I’m busy at work at the moment, so I’ll start when things quieten down”. You know the hardest point will be getting yourself motivated to start. Once you have started, you will find it so much easier to carry on.

For more information on breaking your procrasination habit please

Click Here!

No comments: